While camping, you will always want your experience to be smooth and enjoyable. However, having a bad back during camping is quite common, and the reason is none other than an uncomfortable mattress. Various things are essential for a smooth camping experience, and having a suitable camping mattress is one of them. Therefore, if you are looking for the best camping mattresses for a bad back, look no more as we have sorted out the list for you.
Why Do You Need a Camping Mattress?
If you have back pain, it can be really hard to get a good night’s sleep while you are on your camping trip. Therefore, getting your hands on the best camping mattress for bad back is essential, and the qualities that such a mattress should have are described below:
- It should be firm.
- It should not be too hard.
- It can offer several inches of support.
- It should be thick enough not to make you feel the uneven ground beneath you.
- It should be durable, having a leak-proof design.
When it comes to camping tents, Coleman is a brand that most people are familiar with. This is because Coleman is one of the most popular brands when it comes to selling tents and related gear. This familiarity has led many people to believe that Coleman tents are of low quality. However, this is not the case at all. In fact, Coleman Sundome tents are some of the best on the market when it comes to features and performance. One reason for this is that Coleman makes use of high-quality materials when manufacturing their tents. Additionally, Coleman tent designs are always updated in order to keep up with the latest trends in camping gear. As a result, users can be confident that they will get the best possible experience when using a Coleman tent.
Best Camping Mattress for Bad Back
King Koil Queen Air Mattress
Memory foam/ Nylon
Etekcity Camping Air Mattress
Thicker and flocked PVC
Will Certipur Camping Mattress
Coleman Camping Cot and Air Mattress
Sewn cover air bed
Legit Camping Sleeping Pad Mat
Thermoplastic polyurethane/ Nylon
LaidBackPad Camping Mattress
Memory foam/ polyester
Overmount inflatable Camping tent mattres
80 D polyester
1. Best Camping Mattress for Bad Back
When it comes to providing comfort and effective body support, the King Koil Queen Air Mattress is one of the best that you can get your hands on for your camping journey. It is made with soft flocking and smart technology, making it super comfortable and providing you with sound and comfortable sleep.
What makes this mattress demandable is the fact that it provides excellent body support. It offers an easy advantage of easy operation because it comes with a pump for easy and fast deflation and inflation. You get comfort, back support, easy installation, etc., all in this King Koil Queen Air Mattress. Additionally, what adds to its comfort is that you can easily carry this mattress like a backpack.
- Flocked material type.
- 19 pounds weight.
- Air-filled coil tech.
- Soft PVC material.
- Durable and stable.
- Easy to carry.
- Very comfortable.
- Good large in size.
- Excellent back support.
- Heavy-duty mattress.
- Waterproof comfort quit top.
- Portable and space-saving.
- Adjustable firmness level.
- Not suitable for prolonged usage.
- Quite heavy as compared to other camping mattresses.
2. Wella FlexFoam
If you have had severe back issues, the Wellax FlexFoam is a great option to get your hands on. It is said that the thicker the camping mattress is, the better it is for your back pain. This fact makes the Wellax FlexFoam an amazing option since it is a 3-inch thick mattress pad that makes it one of the most padded mattresses available in the market.
What makes this mattress super special is that it comes with inflating and deflating valves that make it self-inflating and self-deflating, which is a super cool technology. Additionally, this camping mattress provides a great insulation value of around 9.5R that successfully retains warmth throughout the night.
- Nylon material.
- Ultraflex memory foam for supporting back weight.
- The convenience of self-inflating and self-deflating.
- 3 inches thick.
- One-year guarantee.
- The insulation value is 9R.
- Provides maximum warmth and insulation.
- Comes with two air vents.
- Self-inflation and self-deflation.
- It helps survive cold weather.
- Ultra-thick and comfortable.
- Initially, the self-inflation feature is complicated doesn’t operate well.
- Bulky and heavy sleeping pad.
3. Etekcity Camping Air Mattress
Being super soft and available at an affordable price, the Etekcity Camping Air Mattress has made it to the list of best-camping mattresses for a bad back. This mattress comes with a durable and comfortable design and is excellent if you are looking for a long-lasting camping mattress. It comes with a great inner build that is responsible for adding an ultra-soft feeling to it.
What makes it excellent is the fact that it can easily bear weight up to 650 pounds. Additionally, it is designed for protecting water entry and leakages which is because the surface of the bed is made of PVC and flocked top. Bonus, it comes with an AC/DC charging facility that allows you to connect the power without hassle while on your camping journey.
- It comes with a Wave beam inner support
- It is a durable and stable structure.
- Non-toxic blow-up mattress.
- It is made using 20% thicker PVC.
- Includes multi-use valve.
- Storage bag and rechargeable pump included.
- The wave beam that it is built with offers maximum comfort and support.
- A rechargeable pump makes inflation and deflation easy.
- The flocked top is puncture-resistant.
- Offers durability.
- Air leakage may be a problem.
4. Will Certipur Camping Mattress
Constructed using two layers of high-quality memory foam, this Willpo Certipur Camping Mattress will provide you’re the support and comfort that you are looking for while you camp. What makes this camping mattress special is that it comes with two foam layers, including high-density base support that provides excellent support to the back.
Additionally, this camping mattress comes with a waterproof removable cover that you can easily remove and throw in the washing machine when you want to clean it. The waterproof quality prevents any kinds of liquids from reaching the foam layers that may result in permanent damage to the mattress. This mattress is designed in a compact way that is super easy to roll up and carry.
- It is portable.
- Offers multi-functioning.
- Light in weight.
- Compact size.
- High-density foam.
- Water-resistant zipper.
- The cover is machine washable.
- It can easily roll-up.
- Provides warmth along with the comfort you require.
- The cover is machine washable.
- Light in weight.
- Suitable for carrying as a backpack.
- Only 2.75 inches thick.
- Large enough for one person.
- Expensive as compared to competitors.
5. Coleman Camping Cot and Air Mattress
Are you someone who always wants to put things at their bedside? Well, this Coleman Camping Cot and Mattress solves this issue for you. This mattress comes with side tables, and this is one of the rare models that come with legs and frames. The combo that it comes with makes it stand out among the competitors as it offers three pieces, including a side table, a pump with battery operating, and an air mattress.
What makes this Coleman camping cot and mattress super special is that it will make you feel at home and provide you with a comfortable sleep throughout the night. Additionally, it is extremely good for the bad back, so the backache issue problem is also resolved. Not only this, it is built with high quality that ensures durability and great performance throughout your camping journey.
- Fluid design that allows it to be used outdoors and indoors both.
- Reliable folding mechanism.
- Sturdy frame.
- Includes a carry case.
- One-year warranty.
- High weight capacity.
- A stable frame that allows it to be balanced on uneven ground.
- It can be detached from the cot.
- The airtight system is great that prevents air leakage.
- It is good for both indoor usage and camping.
- For extra sleeping space, you can detach the mattress from the cot.
- It can hold up to 600 pounds of weight.
- Includes a steel bed to elevate it from the ground.
- Slightly smaller than it is advertised as.
- The pump is not rechargeable and is only battery-operated.
- Frame requires manual unfolding.
6. Legit Camping Sleeping Pad Mat
This legit camping sleeping pad mat is one of the best mattresses for someone going through back pain and still wants to go camping. It comes with unique air support cells that guarantee extreme comfort and support no matter how uneven the ground on your campsite is.
When the mattress is deflated, it only weighs 18 ounces which makes it super light as compared to its competitors. Additionally, the mattress measures 10 x 3.5 inches, making it easy to store and transport and ideal for backpacking. Not only this, what makes this mattress stand out is the fact the ease of setup it has to offer since you will not need any air pump to inflate it, and only 10 to 15 breaths will do the job for you.
- Light in weight (18 ounces only)
- 1.3 R-value.
- Air support cells.
- It takes 10 to 15 breaths to inflate.
- No pump is required.
- Requires opening the valve to deflate.
- It is constructed using 20-D ripstop Nylon with a TPU layer.
- It is very light in weight.
- Easy to carry.
- Small in size.
- Offers super-easy transport and storage.
- Very easy to inflate.
- No air pump is needed.
- Strong and durable.
- Money-back guarantee.
- The mattress tends to deflate.
- According to some users, it doesn’t hold air well.
7. LaidBackPad Camping Mattress
Being as close as a real bed, the Laidbackpad is one of the best camping mattresses that you can get your hands on because of the features that it has to offer. To help you stay as comfortable as possible during camping, this camping mattress measures 24 x 72 x 2 ⅜ when laid flat, which is more than enough to provide you the space for a comfortable good night’s sleep.
Additionally, the mattress can easily roll up, which eases out the problem of storage and transportation. Not only this, it includes thick padded memory foam as an inner material which results in providing great support to your back and prevents bad back pain from occurring. To protect this memory from any kind of damage, it is covered with a polyester cover that is machine washable, water-resistant, and can easily be removed.
- Polyester and memory foam material.
- Green color.
- 8.5 pounds weight.
- 2⅜ inches thick.
- Soft polar fleece cover.
- Includes heavy-duty straps for storage and carrying.
- Low-VOC and high-quality memory foam.
- Includes built-in connectors.
- It has thick padding and provides great support to the back.
- Comes with a polyester cover.
- It contains memory foam as an inner material which is good for a bad back.
- The cover is removable, water-resistant, and machine washable.
- Doesn’t require inflating.
- It doesn’t pop, leak or deflate, unlike inflating mattresses.
- Allows multiple mattresses to connect together.
- It is heavy, weighing 8.5 pounds.
- Not suitable to carry for people camping far away without a car.
8. Overmount inflatable Camping tent mattress
Measuring 4.2 inches when fully inflated, this mattress is extra thick and one of the best options for people suffering from bad back pain. It offers a high insulation value of around 5R, which makes it super comfortable for winter camping.
It is very impressive when it comes to being light in weight and super easy to carry since it packs down to a manageable size of 14x6x4 inches. Additionally, the PVC cover/coating that it comes with is fully waterproof, preventing any kind of long-term damage.
- Built-in foot pump.
- Constructed using high-quality 80D polyester.
- 400 pounds maximum load.
- 2.6 pounds weight.
- Versatile model.
- Very durable.
- Affordable price.
- Very thick.
- A bit noisy.
- The valve can be faulty.
- Ineffective foot pump.
Buying Guide for Best Camping Mattress:
While there may be various options available in the market, and we may have sorted out the best for you, still, you’ve got to select a camping mattress yourself. If you are confused about what things to look for while buying one, here we have mentioned them all for you in this buying guide for buying a camping mattress.
Balance of the mattress:
If a camping mattress is poorly made, especially when it belongs to an inflatable variety, these kinds of mattresses are very much prone to air leakage and weak spots. Therefore, it is necessary to look for a mattress that won’t shift here and there while you change your sides during your good night’s sleep when you camp. A surface that is properly balanced will be a great support for your back problems.
The Thickness of the Mattress:
In order to avoid having back problems during camping, it is important that there must be some sort of distance between your back and the hard and cold ground. Therefore, the thicker the camping mattress is, the more distance it creates between the ground and your back. No matter what kind of mattress you choose, it is better than the mattress is at least 3 inches thick when it is fully expanded.
Insulation of the Mattress:
R-value of the mattress plays a huge role in protecting the cold air seeping from the ground, paving its way towards you. No matter what kind of mattress you choose, you won’t be able to get a good night’s sleep if you are continuously being woken up by the cold air making its way towards you from the ground through the mattress.
Therefore, having a high R-value mattress will provide better insulation, and your body won’t have to work hard to keep itself warm. For three seasons of camping, the R-value of 2.1 is suitable, while the R-values from 3.3 to 5 will provide you with proper insulation during winter nights.
Construction of the Mattress:
Imagine the struggle you will have to go through moving your mattress to the camp side if the mattress is too heavy to carry. Therefore, choosing a mattress that is light in weight is suitable for you, especially if you are backpacking. Look for camping mattresses that are light in weight, preferably under six to seven pounds.
Size of the Mattress:
Selecting a mattress that is big enough for you to lie on it comfortably is very important. Especially when dealing with a bad back, it is very important to look after this point because you will never want your head or feet to dangle down without any support. In order to know how much space you occupy, it is better to have someone take your measurements from your head to toe so that you can select a mattress size that suits you the best.
Set up Time:
If you are going through bad back pain, the last thing that you will want is your camping mattress to take a long time to set up. Therefore, the memory foam mattress will not require much of your time to inflate or deflate, which makes it a better choice to be bought by people who have back pain issues.
Some of the camping mattresses use memory foam as their inner material, while the others go for air. If you are confused between the two, a camping mattress filled with memory foam as an inner material is a better option. Because it will provide better support to your back and prevent bad back pain.[simple-author-box]